Topics for Critical Thinking and Writing
1. Summarize the essay in a single paragraph.
2. Does the background material about the history of the pledge serve a useful purpose? Should it be deleted? Why, or why not?
3. Does the writer give enough weight to the fact that no one is compelled to recite the pledge? Explain your answer.
4. What arguments does the writer offer in support of her position?
5. Does the writer show an adequate awareness of other counterarguments?
6. Which is the writer’s strongest argument? Is any argument notably weak, and, if so, how could it be strengthened?
7. What assumptions—tacit or explicit—does the author make? Do you agree or disagree with them? Please explain.
8. What do you think the words “under God” to mean? Do they mean “under God’s special protection”? or “acting in accordance with God’s rules”? or “accountable to God”?
9. Chief Justice Rehnquist wrote that the words “under God” are a “descriptive phrase.” What do you think he meant by this?
10. What is the purpose of the Pledge of Allegiance? Does the phrase “under God” promote or defeat that purpose? Explain your answer.
11. What do you think about substituting “with religious freedom” for “under God”? Set forth your response, supporting your reasons in about 250 words.
12. what makes a distinction between the reference to God on U.S. money and the reference to God in the pledge. Do you agree with her that the two cases are not analogous? Explain.
13. What readers might not agree with Wilde’s argument? What values do they hold? How might you try to persuade an audience who disagrees with her to consider her proposal?
14. putting aside your own views on the issue, what grade would you give this essay as a work of argumentative writing? Support your evaluation with reasons.
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more